What is event tracking?
Media Manager (formerly COVE) Video Event tracking refers to the act of passing codes to a Google-hosted analytics tool and returning tracking information to users. Google Analytics makes it possible to track certain video metrics using event tracking features supported in the Media Manager video playback environment such as:
- number of video plays
- player type
- overlay menu interactions
- sharing behaviors (email, Facebook, Twitter)
What is an event?
In Google Analytics an “event” can be anything from a user clicking something, such as the Share button in the player, to the moment the system performs an action (i.e. a video loading in a player). We have identified a series of events that allow us to track Media Manager video usage. While this is not a perfect system, you will get all the important information you need. The best part is, it’s already incorporated into your existing PBS Google Analytics account!
It is important to understand that this system is only able to track events that occur within the Media Manager player, and in some cases, an action isn’t always a clear indicator of a behavior. To gain a clear understanding of what events are tracked, refer to the How to Track Specific Metrics section of this guide.
- Metrics are approximately 24-hours behind. This is standard for Google Analytics. The reports update after 12pm (noon) the following day.
- Dashboard configuration is based on each unique login, so every user must set up their own dashboard. Dashboards cannot be set up across accounts. If there are multiple users who all have access to the same producer account each user will need to set up their own dashboard.
- It is possible to set up reports that are automatically emailed to you and your staff at regular intervals. When you have a report open and would like to email it, just click the Email button above the graph at the top of the report and fill out the form.
* Analytics data is not available prior to 2010.
What you will need
- Media Manager Admin Tool access
- National Producer Google Analytics account
How to begin
- Contact your Program Manager and request that Google Analytics codes be sent to you.
- Implement the Google Analytics codes into your Media Manager pages.
- Log in to your Google Analytics account (http://www.google/analytics)
- Click on the account you wish to view.
Video metrics are not reported and event tracking will not begin if Google Analytics codes have not been added to your pages in Media Manager.
How to track specific metrics
The following reports reflect the current look and feel of Google Analytics.
This section provides instructions on how to track:
- number of Media Manager video views
- video views by Player type
- menu buttons users have clicked
- how users are sharing your videos
- duration watched
- URLs your videos were embedded on via the Viral Player.
The Reference Materials section of this guide contains a glossary of terms, related links and a map of how we've structured our event tracking.
Let us know
We have outlined the basics in this guide. If you have any ideas or questions about how to track metrics beyond what we have explained here please let us know. Type your comments in the textbox provided below or on any page in this guide.