Recent SEO Blog Posts
For more recent blog posts, please visit our Producer Blog at http://producerblog.pbs.org/.
Google Stops Passing Referrers for Logged-In Searchers ... What "(not provided)" Means
Nov 02, 2011
Better SEO Link Building with the New Viral Player
Oct 18, 2011
Which is Better for SEO - Underscores or Dashes?
Aug 17, 2011
Big Change to Google Sitelinks
Aug 17, 2011
Webinar Materials - SEO Basics Refresher
Jul 26, 2011
Google's use of new rel=author tag
Jul 07, 2011
5 Easy, Must Do, Link Tactics for SEO
Mar 22, 2011
5 Easy Steps for On-Page Optimization (Once You've Done Your Keyword Research)
Feb 01, 2011
Keyword Research -- Selecting Keywords Like an SEO Pro
Dec 01, 2010
Keyword Research -- What is it? Why do it?
Nov 29, 2010
SEO Training Archives
Web producers who want to drive significant traffic to their websites, often neglect the single most important factor that will bring more people to their sites – making them more attractive and "findable" by search engines - a practice called "search engine optimization" (SEO).
Unfortunately search engine optimization is misunderstood by many as being difficult, but it doesn't have to be.
PBS can help you learn more about SEO and why it's critical for you to be thinking about it, from the very start of the web production process.
For a basic guide to Search Engine Optimization, check out SEO Resources.
Station and Producer SEO Training Overview
This document outlines components of a training program conducted to help PBS producers and stations increase their search engine rankings and traffic from all major global search engines - Google, Yahoo! Search, Microsoft Live Search, and Ask.com.
All training seminars were instructed by Aaron Wall & Todd Malicoat. Of the thousands of people selling SEO service Aaron's SeoBook.com site is one of the few that ranks on the first page of Google's search results when someone searches for SEO. Todd is also a thought leader in the SEO space. He runs the popular Stuntdubl.com internet marketing blog and is a regular speaker at industry events.
PBS SEO Seminars
These seminars focused on core building blocks of SEO:
- Keyword research – how to do keyword research and competitive research
- Page titles – how to optimize each page to its full potential
- Site structure & internal linking – understanding how pages within a site can work together to rank for a broader array of search queries
- Link building – why links are important, and how PBS can leverage its brand and reach to build links
- Analytics – how to measure success & tie ranking and traffic feedback into your SEO process
The two seminars addressed the same topics, but were customized for stations and producers, based on pre-interviews the trainers are conducting with representatives from each stakeholder group. Each seminar topic within the three hour webinar was approximately 25 to 30 minutes long, followed by a 10 to 15 minute question and answer period.
Advanced SEO Training for Producers and Stations
This training covered four niche topics with the focus on:
Follow Up Questions and Online Training
It is not uncommon for a person learning SEO to feel like they understand it, but have some questions pop up a week or two later. As a part of this training seminar, all PBS producers and stations participating in the training are entitled to a free three month trial of the online SEO training program at www.seobook.com/pbs.
Stations and producers: You will need to use that URL: www.seobook.com/pbs and the directions on that page in order to get the free offer.
NOTE: You will be required to enter a credit card number or pay pal account, BUT if you cancel by the end of the free 3 month trial, you won't be charged anything. Just make a note that you need to cancel after the trial period.
What you'll find on the site:
- Over 100 searchable and cross referenced text based training modules broken down by topic.
- Dozens of videos that help explain concepts like optimizing page titles and on page content.
- A selection of free and paid SEO tools that can be used to help track SEO progress.
- An online forum with over 500 active paid members who are SEO professionals.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com.
Below are links to resources that may be of interest to you regarding SEO. The slides are what the SEO consultants used for the training. Whether or not you made it to the training, you can review these documents as they are full of good SEO knowledge.
- SEO Starter Guide
- SEO Training Slides - Keyword Research
- SEO Training Slides - Analytics
- SEO Training Slides - Internal Linking
- SEO Training - Titles and On-Page Best Practices
- SEO Training - Links
- SEO Training - Tools
- SEO Training - Blogging
- SEO Training - Flash
- SEO Training - Linkbaiting
- SEO Training - Common CMS Issues
- SEO Training - Video
For further questions or for more information about SEO training, email Melanie Phung at firstname.lastname@example.org.