What is Search Engine Optimization (SEO)?
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the process of improving a website’s visibility in search engines in order to drive more qualified traffic.
What PBS LearningMedia fields are important for SEO?
|Name||Definition||Location in Admin Tool||Example|
|Slug||Text that appears at the end of the page URL. Autogenerated when the asset and resource are created. The slug can be modified, however, it is not recommended.|
|Page title||The Title tag is a piece of metadata on a webpage that tells users and search engines about that page. The Title tag, along with the short description, is also displayed when you or a user post a link to your content on social sites such as Facebook. Therefore, it should be descriptive, specific, concise and compelling. In addition, a well-written title tag is one of the most important “on page” ranking factors for getting visibility in search rankings.|
|Short description||Created in the metadata section of the Resource and appears in search results when a user searches for the resource. Maximum 250 characters allowed.|
|Long description||Created in the metadata section of the Resource and appears under the featured media. Maximum 650 characters allowed.|
Tips on writing Description text
- When writing your short description, be sure to make it compelling and relevant to your target keywords so people will want to click on your result.
- Short descriptions should not exceed 250 characters in length.
- Be sure your description text reads well, makes sense, and is engaging to readers. You have one sentence to get users interested in viewing your website.
- Don’t duplicate your descriptions across website pages.
- Make an effort to add keyword(s) at the beginning of the Short description while still retaining a sensible sentence structure that is easy to read.
- Avoid using any unusual characters, unless they are included in the keywords you are using. Try to use basic text, without unnecessary symbols.
- Try to include your station or program name within the Description so that people will see recognizable text in search results.
- Always try to add in a variant of your main keywords or key phrase. Try to choose broadly used terms that people may use when searching.
Keywords have no impact on SEO ranking and can be kept blank, however, you can add two or three phrases as a reminder of editorial intent.