Forecasted Audience Size (e.g., expected downloads or monthly visits)
Expected Net Revenues
This is a qualitative metric. Innovation can be technological or originality of content/feature set, but it must be innovative in the context of all things mobile, not just public media. The bar for meeting this goal is high.
|Serving member stations|
- What are the key features and functionality?
- How does it serve audience needs?
PBS has developed some recommendations to help you as you develop your concept:
- Create concepts that offer more than just entertainment. The goal of the app concept and marketing message should be enrichment in addition to entertainment.
- Keep it locally relevant. Strive to find a local or geo-targeted angle to the extent feasible or relevant to the content.
- Create an interactive experience. Seek opportunities to allow users to collaborate, compete, share or have some form of social interaction around your content or even contributing to it. Mobile is a great opportunity to let the "public" shine through in public media!
- Make your app stand out from the rest. Develop a unique angle. Look for features and functionalities that are natural offshoots of the content and what your audience wants to do with that content.
- Maintain high quality. Your audience expects the same high editorial standards you have on-air and online so be sure those standards carry over to your app.
Some elements that need to be considered in the planning phase include:
- intended platform type
- native app or mobile web app/site
- app updates
- functionality changes
- content refresh
When considering platforms, please think about whether a native app is necessary or if your audience could be better served with a Mobile Web application or site. Below is a table outlinining the specifics of each option.
Keep in mind that third parties have total control over native applications – it is their sandbox – whereas PBS offers much greater control and flexibility with your Mobile Web site on pbs.org.
Tied to device
Tied to browser
Apple, Google, RIM, Wireless Carriers
PBS and stakeholders