|Table of Contents|
What is ITS?
The Image Transformation Service (ITS) is a tool that takes large “mezzanine” images and, through the use of transform requests in query strings, dynamically transforms them to a variety of sizes. ITS is also capable of cropping images. Using ITS allows a single image to be modified and used on pages and platforms that may require many different image sizes. ITS is connected to a CDN so image retrieval is much faster.
Important notes about ITS
A few things to remember when using ITS:
- Start with the largest image file size possible.
- Supported output file types are jpg and png only.
- You must manually add parameters in the decorator to customize the image returned from ITS.
- If using the proxy service, images may take a few days to be cached in the CDN.
For PBS Internal Developers
- Watch out for DNS issues - a 404 maybe be returned when using image.pbs.org.
- Use Google's DNS.
- Sample code here: https://github.com/pbs/its