A typical TV listing consists of:
- start and end time (this is a required field)
- show title (this is a required field)
- show description
- episode title
- episode description
Each of these fields can be modified. Alternatively, you can replace an entire listing by selecting a completely new show or episode. If the new show or episode you have selected resides in the PBS database and contains metadata, the metadata is automatically populated in the listing.
You are editing one instance of an episode. If an episode appears in more than one place, you must edit it everywhere individually.
How to edit the content of a listing
- Search for the listing you want to modify by selecting the date and time that the listing appears in your schedule (Figure 1.1).
- Click Begin Editing Schedule (Figure 1.2).
- If you do not see all the listings for time you selected, use the scroll bar located at the bottom of the screen (Figure 2.1).
- Click the pencil icon located in the bottom right corner of the listing you want to modify to begin editing (Figure 2.2).
- Modify any of the fields in the listing (Figure 3.1). In this example we are modifying just the title.
- The duration of the listing is determined by the start and end times (Figure 3.2).
- Click the Allow Gracenote to update this listing checkbox if you want Gracenote schedule information to overwrite what you have entered (Figure 3.3). Leave this box unchecked if you want your changes to appear in PBS Digital products TV listings.
- When finished, click Confirm to save your changes (Figure 3.4).
Some notes about TV listing fields:
- Show times cannot overlap so be sure you are moving a show to an empty time slot.
- All listing show and episode information can be edited.
- As you begin typing a show title in the Show Title textbox, a list of available shows appears. When a show is selected, the description field auto-populates, if it is available.
- If selecting a show from the pre-populated list in the console, all episodes appear in a list and you can select available episodes.
- If selecting an episode from the pre-populated list in the console, the episode description automatically appears and can be edited.
- If an episode is selected, the episode description field auto-populates, if it is available.
- You can search for an episode by typing either the title or number of the episode in the Episode Title field.
- The changes you made are reflected in the listing (Figure 4.1).
- Click Save Changes to save the listing changes (Figure 4.2).
Your edits will not be saved until you click Save Changes.
Assign listing times
A listing can be assigned to a minimum time of one (1) minute and a maximum of 24 hours. Learn more about modifying listing times
- Click the pencil icon located in the bottom right corner of the listing you want to modify (Figure 1). In this example, we are assigning a time to an empty time slot.
- Click the Start and End Time dropdown menus to choose a time span (Figure 2.1).
- The duration is reflected to the right of the Start and End Times (Figure 2.2).
Keep in mind that the TV Listings Manager follows the Calendar day which goes from midnight (12:00 am) to midnight (12:00 am), not the Broadcast day which goes from 6:00 am to 6:00 am. So an update that your TV department says is for August 2 at 1:00 am should be updated for August 3 at 1:00 am in the TV Listings Manager.
- For shorter timeslots, you will need to hover your mouse over the listing in order to see listing details (Figure 3).