Why might an app be sunsetted?
There are a couple of reasons an app might have to be taken out of the app store:
- Rights have expired
- All stakeholders must be notified that it is being taken down.
- Rights and permissions should be established in your original contract
- Poor performance
- Factors that could result in low ratings include:
- lesser known brand
- old program/program goes off air
- poor sales
User ratings can be found in the app store.
See ratings screenshot here
What happens when an app is sunsetted?
- Producer notifies PBS that app has entered into the sunset phase and provides a date to remove it from the app store.
- PBS will work with the producer to remove the Mobile Application from the requisite marketplaces.