After trying Facebook Fan pages or Groups to market and spread the word about your organization on Facebook, you may find yourself wanting more. (If you don’t yet have a
Facebook presence, PBS has a “Basic Marketing and Promotion with Facebook” how-to and best practice document where you can learn the basics.
Building applications for Facebook is complex and not for the faint of heart. It will usually be most efficient if you work with a developer or someone with experience building Web
applications. The way Facebook applications work, and the rules for how they can operate, are often changing.
The following Web sites provide background information and updated technical details to help you or your staff build your own application.
- http://developers.facebook.com/get_started.phphttp://forum.developers.facebook.com/ (The forum is an especially good way to see what people are building and what problems they’re having developing for Facebook.)
Blogs about Facebook Applications
- http://developers.facebook.com/news.php (Keep an eye on this blog for the latest rules
for Facebook development.)
Technical Resources and toolkits
- Building with Microsoft Visual Studiohttp://www.microsoft.com/express/samples/facebook/quickstarts/default.aspxhttp://www.microsoft.com/express/samples/facebook/quickstarts/default.aspx
- http://www.microsoft.com/express/samples/facebook/quickstarts/default.aspxFacebook for Ruby on Rails Developershttp://rfacebook.wordpress.com/http://rfacebook.wordpress.com/
- http://rfacebook.wordpress.com/Facebook for PHP Developershttp://wiki.developers.facebook.com/index.php/PHPhttp://wiki.developers.facebook.com/index.php/PHP
Facebook Application Building Tutorials
- Ruby on Railshttp://rfacebook.wordpress.com/2008/01/10/tutorial/http://rfacebook.wordpress.com/2008/01/10/tutorial/
- http://facebook-developer.net/2007/10/18/building-your-first-facebook-application-withcakephp/PHP and an App updated via RSS feedhttp://www.howtoforge.com/rss_facebook_app_php