Shows can be added and deleted by PBS only. Please submit a support ticket for requests to add or delete a show.
How to access Shows on PBS.org
Shows can be accessed from the top navigation menu on PBS.org
They can also be access further down the PBS.org homepage by clicking Featured Shows, each show thumbnail, or by Genre.
You can view all associated Show objects right from the main Show page by using the arrows and plus signs next to each object. And you can access all objects from the Show page by clicking the object links, Please refer to the following video to see how:
(Click the symbol in the bottom right corner of the video to enlarge)
How to add a Show
Shows can be created and added to Media Manager by PBS only. To request your show be added, please submit a support ticket and include information where the "Required for Create" value in the table below is Y. (For the fields where the value is "Y" and there is a default setting, you do not need to include this information, unless you do not want the default value.)
|Field||Notes||Required for Create?|
|Title||Title of the show. No more than 60 characters, including spaces.||Y|
|Slug||A unique identifier of the show. Cannot be changed after initial save.||Y (automatically generated from Title, and is editable only prior to initial save)|
|Sortable Title||This field determines the display order of a title in an alphabetical list. Removing leading articles such as "the", "a", and "an" will help make titles more discoverable. The Sortable Title itself is never displayed.||N|
|PBS Content ID||Unique ID||Y (automated and not editable)|
Unique Gracenote identifier that is matched to an associated ID in the TV Schedules Service (TVSS) API. This identifier creates a link between Media Manager and TVSS.
(1) TMS ID fields:
(2) Existing TMS ID: The TMS ID that was manually entered and already existed in Media Manager. This only displays if there was an existing TMS ID in Media Manager.
(3) TVSS Details: Displays the show details that are pulled from TVSS when a successful match has been made between the TMS ID and TVSS.
|Show NOLA||Four-character, alpha ID assigned by PBS Programming to all national shows.||N|
|Short Description||90 characters or less, including spaces. Used primarily when space is limited, such as on apps and small screens.||Y|
|Long Description||400 characters or less, including spaces.||Y|
|Associated Franchise||Does this show belong to a franchise (Masterpiece, Ken Burns)? Optional field.||N|
|Genre||Pre-defined list provided. Optional field.||N|
|Display episode number?||On/Off. Allows episode numbers to be displayed on PBS Digital products, when they’re updated to use the new core data. Recommendation is Yes for shows with ordinal-based seasons (1, 2, 3…).||Y (Default=Yes/On)|
|If set to "On" (default), seasons are ordered by ordinal (ex: 1, 2, 3…). If set to "Off", seasons will be ordered by year (2017, 2018, 2019…).||Y (Default=On)|
Require Content Rating?
On/Off Should content rating be required for all associated assets? View content ratings
*NR = No rating
|Audience||Defines groups with access to the show's content. (PBS National, All Stations, individual stations (1 or more), PBS KIDS)||Y|
|Affiliation||Identifies the owner/producer of the show, and should also include the show itself. (Ex: NOVA will have assigned as its Affiliation: PBS National, NOVA)||Y|
|Allow Viral Player Embed||On/Off. The viral player provides up to 20 minutes of a video. When set to "On", this displays an embed icon with the video player, and allows site users to embed the viral player on their own site.||N (Default=On)|
|URLs & Social||Section for storing URLs for social sites, and a single, official hashtag. Optional field.||N|
GA Page Tracking ID
GA Event Tracking ID
|Google Analytics IDs||N|
|Exclude From DFP||On/Off. Determines whether or not sponsorship ads will be displayed for associated videos.||Y (Default=On)|
|Funder Message||Optional field. Funder message is not inherited from the Franchise.||N|
Captions required for full length assets?
|On/Off. Sets caption requirement for all child video assets||Y (Default=On)|
|Captions required for clips?||On/Off. Sets caption requirement for all child video assets||Y (Default=On)|
|Captions required for previews?||On/Off. Sets caption requirement for all child video assets||Y (Default=On)|
If "No" to any of the above caption requirement fields, provide one of the following caption justification options:
|Language||Primary language assignment for the show and its child video assets.||Y (Default=English)|
|Show Premiere Date||Optional field. Is not surfaced on the front end for PBS products.||N|
|Allow Topics||On/Off. Legacy field, no longer used by PBS front end. (Recommend setting to Off, unless station/producer has specific need for the data.)||Y (Default=N)|
|Image||Various profile types available.||N|
Set show-level duration defaults for child video assets. Optional field.
|Y (Default=Always Available)|
|When set at the show level, the assignment cascades to all assets. Available in all countries is the default but most shows are set to US and Territories.||Y (Default=US & Territories)|
When a show is private, it and its child video assets will not be available on any platforms. Private=On is useful for a newly-created show, that is not yet ready for the front end.
If a public show is subsequently made private, this change will set all child assets to be private as well. You can confirm this by looking at the Platform setting for an individual video asset.
Designates the platforms on which your show will be available. As of right now, platforms include pbs.org, Partner Player, Bento, Station Video Portal, Android, Android TV, Apple TV, Chrome Cast, Fire TV, iOS, Roku, and tvOS. Samsung TV will be available soon.
|Y (Default=All Platforms)|
How to edit a Show
When first logging in to the Media Manager console, you are automatically directed to your Shows page. All shows you have access to are displayed on this page.
- If you have a long list of shows, use the search feature in the upper right side of the screen to search by show name (Figure 1.1).
- The number of Collections associated with the show are listed (Figure 1.2).
- The number of Seasons within the show are listed (Figure 1.3).
- The number of Specials associated with the show are listed (Figure 1.4).
- The audiences who have access to view the show are displayed (Figure 1.5).
- The date and time that the show was last modified displays in the Last Modified column (Figure 1.6).
- Click the show title to begin editing (Figure 1.7).
Editors may modify specific show fields, as follows:
- In the Short Description textbox, type a short description containing no more than 90 characters, including spaces (Figure 1.1). This appears in search results when a user searches for your show.
- In the Long Description textbox, type a long description containing no more than 400 characters, including spaces (Figure 1.2). This appears on your video asset page and should providers viewers with a little more information about your show.
- Click the Genre dropdown menu and click the genre with which your show should be associated (Figure 1.3).
Click the Descending Episode Order toggle to arrange the order in which your episodes display (Figure 2.1).See examples of ascending and descending
- Ascending - Episodes are displayed from oldest to most recent.
- Descending - Episodes are displayed from most recent to oldest. This is selected by default.
- Click the Require Content Rating toggle so that it displays OFF if you do not wish to require a content rating for your show's video assets and extras (Figure 2.2). View content ratings
- Click the Content Rating dropdown menu to select a default content rating to be applied to newly-created child assets. When this setting is updated, it will apply to (and can be overridden on) all child assets which are subsequently created (Figure 2.3). Setting changes will not apply to existing assets, or to existing assets which are re-saved. This setting can be overridden at the asset level.
- Click the Allow Viral Player Embed toggle so that it displays OFF if you want to prevent your show's videos from being embedded in third-party websites (Figure 2.4).
- When finished, click Save (Figure 2.5).
The following items are pre-filled and cannot be modified by the Editor role. You must contact PBS to request changes.
- Sortable Title
- PBS Content ID
- Show NOLA
- Associated Franchise
- Display episode number
- Ordinal Season
Collections are comprised of Episodes. Learn how to add episodes from your show to a Collection
TMS ID Matching Logic for Shows
The below diagram illustrates the logic used to attempt matching shows in TVSS and Media Manager.
URLs and Social
The “Join the Conversation” module on PBS.org has been temporarily removed. You can still fill out the URLs and Social section but it will not surface on PBS.org immediately. PBS will notify you when the module is reactivated on the site.
Use the URLs and Social section to:
- associate your show with various social media outlets (Example: https://www.facebook.com/PBSNature/).
- create purchase links so that people can purchase your show on different platforms (Example: Apple, Amazon)
- assign a URL to the Visit The Official Website link that goes to your show's website (this image and link beneath the image are programmed in the PBS.org Show Official Website collection in Curate.
How to add links:
- Click the Additional Data tab (Figure 1.1).
- Click the Type dropdown menu and click the type of link you want to add (e.g.: social media, official website) (Figure 1.2).
- In each corresponding URL textbox, type the full URL (Figure 1.3).
- Click the blue Add More button to add additional rows (Figure 1.4).
In the Hashtag textbox, type the hashtag associated with your show (Figure 1.5). This is the official hashtag for your show; the hashtag that will curate your show's tweets.See where official website and social links appear on your site
Click image to view full version
If you need additional types added to the list, please submit a support ticket.
- In the GA Page Tracking and GA Event Tracking, type the Google tracking code provided by your site admin (Figure 3). Learn more about Google Analytics
The Sponsorship section controls the behavior of DFP pre- and mid-roll sponsorships and funder messaging (funder messaging should be included by stations only; national content producers should leave this field empty).
- Exclude from DFP determines if your sponsorship will display in associated assets (Figure 3.1). This information is set by your site admin and it cannot be edited by any other role.
- In the Funder Message textbox, type any acknowledgements associated with your show (Figure 3.2). Maximum length: 500 characters, including spaces.
The Closed Captions section controls the behavior of closed captioning at the show level. It determines if closed captioning files are required for full length and/or previews and clips. This information is set by your site admin and it cannot be edited by any other role. When a toggle is clicked and turned to the OFF position (Figure 4.1), you must include a justification for why captions are not required for that format (Figure 4.2).
- Click the Auto Publish Assets toggle so that it displays ON to automatically publish all assets created for your show (Figure 5.1). The assets must have all required fields complete in order for this feature to work properly. Assets that are already published are not affected by this setting. Keep this toggle OFF if you do not want to automatically publish show assets going forward.
- Click the Language dropdown menu and select the main language in which your show is presented (Figure 5.2). Currently, English and Spanish are available.
- Click the Premiere Date textbox and click the date on the calendar that your episode should go live on-air or online (Figure 5.3). Times are EST.
- Click the Allow Topics toggle to assign topics to your show (Figure 5.4). If Topics are not allowed at the show level, topics will be disabled on all assets associated with the show. Most assets do not use topics.
- When finished, click Save (Figure 5.5).
The images section holds all of your show images, including poster images and logos. Only one type of each image is allowed per show. Trying to add two of the same type of image will result in an error.
Description (sizes are width x height)
|Background||Will eventually be used for background "Key Art" on Show page carousel. (Same profile type available for Franchise page carousel.)|
|Show - Black Logo 2:1|
This profile does not currently surface on PBS products. If you have this image profile, please add it to Media Manager for possible future use.
|Show - White Logo 2:1|
|Show - Color Logo 2:1||This profile does not currently surface on PBS products. If you have this image profile, please add it to Media Manager for possible future use.|
Show - Mezzanine 16x9
|White Logo 4:1|
|Black Logo 4:1|
|Color Logo 4:1|
|Show - Poster 2x3|
|Show - Banner|
No longer being used; will be removed from console
|Show - Showcase|
No longer being used; will be removed from console
|Show - Logo||This image type is available in Media Manager but is not currently being used by PBS products.||N/A|
|Show - Kids 16x9|
|Show - Kids Channel|
|Show - Kids Home Page Round|
|Show - Kids Icon|
|Show - Kids Small Square|
|Show - Kids Video Pages Square|
- Click the blue Choose button to browse your computer files for an image (Figure 1).
- After you've found the image you want to use and have added it, click the Select Profile dropdown menu and click the profile that is associated with your image (Figure 2). Only one of each profile is allowed per show.
- Click Save (Figure 3).
Repeat the same steps for the rest of your show images.
The Availability tab regulates how content is available to viewers. Access to videos is controlled by a viewer's Passport status (learn more about Passport) and their geo location.
|Public||Users who are not Passport members (general public), or are not logged in.|
|All Passport Members||All Passport members across all stations.|
|Your Station's Passport Members|
You can vary programming windows depending on the User Type.
This user type only displays for station programs; national programs have no station component.
|Countries||The countries in which the video can be viewed.|
|Never allowed to view the video.|
|Always Available||Always allowed to view the video.|
|Custom Time Frame||Allowed to view the video for a specific time frame.|
- Content types are broken into three sections (full length, previews, clips) and are specified at the top of each section (Figure 1.1). You can assign viewing permissions for each type of content.
- Viewer types are listed on the left side of the page (Figure 1.2).
- Click the Geo Availability dropdown menu to assign the countries in which the video content for the show should be available (Figure 1.3). All assets that are part of this show inherit the geo restrictions that are assigned here. You can assign different geo restrictions to each individual asset at the asset level. Individual assets can only be made more restrictive, not less restrictive.
- Click the General Availability dropdown menu next to the user type whose availability rules you want to modify (Figure 1.4).
- The Duration option shows only for viewers who have been assigned a Custom Time Frame. Click the Duration dropdown menu to assign a timeframe for which the assignment is valid (Figure 1.5). You can assign by days, weeks, months, and years.
An important note about assignments
- When clicking Save, you are prompted with a warning that the viewing selections you've made will be inherited by assets associated with this show. To apply the changes, click Yes, Continue or click Cancel to cancel the operation (Figure 2).
Assets associated with this show can have their own unique availability settings designated at the asset level. Individual assets can only be made more restrictive, not less restrictive.
- The Privacy & Platform Management section should have already been assigned to your show when your show was created. This section can only be edited by PBS.
- When finished, click Save (Figure 3).
The Producers and Distributors sections provide a place to keep track of all producers and distributors that are or have been associated with your show. This information is not mandatory and is mainly for your own record keeping. It will not appear in the Media Manager API.
- Click the Title dropdown menu and click the title of the producer or distributor (Figure 1.1).
- In the Start Year and End Year textboxes, type the years that are applicable to this entry (Figure 1.2).
- If you need to delete an entry, click the trashcan icon next to the entry you want to remove (Figure 1.3).
- To add additional rows, click the blue Add Producer or Add Distributor button (Figure 1.4). If you need additional titles, please submit a support ticket and list the titles you need.
- When you're finished, click Save (Figure 1.5).