A season is a collection of episodes that are available within a certain time frame and comprise a segment of a show’s overall run. The following can be added to a Season:
All assets associated with each season are visible right from the dashboard, as seen in the video below:
( Click the symbol in the bottom right corner of the video to enlarge )
If you cannot see the entire video on your device, please collapse the left navigation menu by clicking the line that separates the grey left navigation menu and the white page content section.
How to create a season
|Field||Notes||Required for create?|
|Season Number||A sequential number that must be unique per show (i.e.: you cannot have more than one of the same numbered season per show).||Y|
|Title||Title of the season. No more than 256 characters, including spaces.||N|
|PBS Content ID||Unique identifier that is auto-generated upon save.||N|
Unique Gracenote identifier.
Currently this field is exposed in the Media Manager API, but not yet used by any internal clients. Unless you have access to the Gracenote-generated ID, you should not populate this field. More information will become available, as integration plans are made.
|Short Description||90 characters or less, including spaces. Used primarily when space is limited, such as on apps and small screens.||N|
|Long Description||400 characters or less, including spaces.||N|
If no seasons currently exist for your show, you will encounter a message explaining that each season you add will follow the format, either ordinal (e.g. 1, 2, 3, etc.) or year-based (e.g. 2016, 2017, etc.), that was designated in the Core Data tab of your show when your show was created. Each season you add will follow the format that was initially assigned. Contact PBS if the Ordinal Season field needs to be changed.
- In the left side navigation menu, click Shows (Figure 1.1).
- Click the show to which you want to add a season (Figure 1.2).
- Type keywords into the search textbox in the upper right side of the page to search for the show you want (Figure 1.3).
- Click the Display records dropdown menu and select how many records you want to appear on the page at once (Figure 1.4).
- Click Create Season located on the right side of the page (Figure 2).
- Type the season number in the textbox or, once you hover over or click inside the textbox, click the up and down arrows on the far right side of the selectbox to assign a season number (Figure 4.1). If the Ordinal Season toggle is turned OFF in the Core Data tab of the Show, this will be presented in years (2015, 2016, etc.). To change this setting, you must contact PBS.
- When finished, click Save (Figure 4.2).
The season has been created and you can begin adding metadata.
Add Core Data
- The season number displays and can be changed, if necessary (Figure 4.1).
- In the Title textbox, type a title for your episode containing no more than 256 characters, including spaces (Figure 4.2).
- The PBS Content ID is a unique identifier for your season and cannot be modified (Figure 4.3).
- In the Short Description textbox, type a short description containing no more than 90 characters, including spaces (Figure 4.4).*
- In the Long Description textbox, type a long description containing no more than 400 characters, including spaces (Figure 4.5).*
* Short and Long Description fields accept HTML (example code: <a href="http://www.pbs.org">PBS</a>). These fields will only show up on over-the-top devices such as Roku and Apple TV. The Show description is used for seasons.
URLs & Social
Use this section to create social media links that are specific to your season. Example: https://www.facebook.com/mercystreetpbs/
- Click the Type dropdown menu and click the type of social media site you want to target, and in the corresponding URL textbox, type the full URL of your season on the associated site (Figure 5.1).
- Click the blue Add More button to add additional rows (Figure 5.2).
- The Created and Updated dates are automatically generated and cannot be modified (Figure 5.3). If you see Corebot on this line it simply means your season was ported from COVE to Media Manager and no action is required by you.
- When finished, click Save (Figure 5.4).
If you need additional items added to the Type list, please submit a support ticket.
How to create an episode within a season
If you are working within a season that has already been created, use the steps below to create an episode within the season. Learn how to create a season
- Be sure you are in the correct season by clicking the Show name, then the Seasons tab, and then click the link to the season that you want to hold your episode. Check your breadcrumbs at the top of the page to confirm you are in the right place (Figure 1.1).
- Once you are in the season you want, click the Episodes tab (Figure 1).
- Click Create Episode (Figure 2).
How to create a video asset within an episode
You must be in an episode within a season in order to create a video asset for a season.
- Use the breadcrumbs to be sure that you are in the correct season and episode (Figure 1.1).
- Click the green Create Asset button located on the right side of the page (Figure 1.2).
How to create a season extra
You must be in a season to add an extra to the season.
- Use the breadcrumbs to be sure that you are in the correct season (Figure 1.1).
- When you are in the correct season, click the Extras tab (Figure 1.2).
How to delete a season
You cannot delete a season that contains content. Remove all associated assets from the season you want to delete.
- Open the season you want to delete and click the Core Data tab (Figure 1).
- At the bottom left side of the page, click Delete Season (Figure 2).
The Delete Season button will not be visible if there is content associated with the season. Once you have deleted all content associated with the season, you will see the button.
- In the lower right side of the page, click Yes, I'm sure to confirm deletion (Figure 3).
- A message confirming the season has been deleted appears and the season is removed from your list of seasons (Figure 4).