For quick tutorials on common tasks, please see our FAQ page.
Access the console
To begin working with Media Manager, you must first gain access to the Media Manager console. The console is the tool used to add all content including videos, closed caption files, and metadata for all of your seasons, episodes, and assets.
Please submit a support ticket and let us know that you'd like access to the Media Manager console (see a sample support ticket). After submitting your ticket, you will receive either an email with an activation link or an email informing you of your new access permissions. If you are not automatically directed to the console, go to https://media.console.pbs.org and log in with your PBS Account. After logging in you'll be directed to the Shows page where you can begin working.
What is PBS Account?
PBS account provides a way for you to establish a unique PBS profile and maintain a singular identity across all PBS ecosystems. PBS Account may be used to access PBS products like Media Manager and Bento.
Important things to remember:
- PBS Account is required to access the Media Manager admin tool.
- Newly created accounts will not have immediate access to the admin tool.
- PBS must update account permissions for all new accounts before you can add content to Media Manager.
- Once PBS has received your username(s), you will be set up in Media Manager (for stations, your station group will be set up). You will then receive a confirmation email letting you know that access to the admin tool has been granted and you may begin adding/editing content.
How to create a PBS account
- Open the Media Manager admin tool at https://media.console.pbs.org/.
- Click Register Now (Figure 1).
- Type your first name and last name in the text boxes provided (Figure 2.1).
- In the Email textbox, type the email address you want to use for this account then type it again in the Confirm Email textbox (Figure 2.2).
In the Password textbox, type the password you want to use for this account then type the same password again in the Password Confirmation textbox (Figure 2.3). Your password must contain at least one uppercase letter.
- Type the zip code associated with the area of your business (Figure 2.4).
- Click Register (Figure 2.6).
Click the Keep me logged in checkbox if you would like to stay signed in to your account each time you return to the site (Figure 2.7).
- Go to the inbox of the email account with which you registered. Open the email message from email@example.com and click or copy the link provided (Figure 3). This link confirms the email address you used when registering.
- Paste the link into a browser window (Figure 4.1).
- A message appears confirming that your account has been verified and you are a registered user (Figure 4.2).
You now have a PBS Account and can log in to PBS tools.
Navigate the console
- Your login information displays in the upper right corner of the page.
- When first logging in to the console, all of the shows you have access to appear in the main body of the page. If you do not have the proper access, please submit a support ticket and let us know what you need.
- Use the navigation on the left side of the page to access your franchises, shows, remote assets, a search feature, and a help section containing forums, support, and FAQs.
- Use the breadcrumbs at the top of the page to keep track of where you are in the console.
- The category that you are currently viewing appears directly below the breadcrumbs and reflects the category highlighted in the left navigation menu.
- Click the Display dropdown menu to select how many items you want to see displayed per page.
- Click the yellow History button to see the actions that have been taken on the element you are currently viewing. Recorded history includes:
- Created Franchise
- Updated [field name]
- Deleted Franchise
- Created Video Asset: [asset title]
- Updated Video Asset: [asset title]
- Deleted Video Asset: [asset title]
- Added [image profile name]
- Deleted [image profile name]
- Type keywords in the search textbox to search for an item in the current category being viewed (Example: When viewing Shows you can search for shows only, such as American Masters).
Select a time zone
Selecting a time zone makes it easier to figure out availability when programming your shows and assets because the current time in your local area will display. The default is auto-detect, which is based on your IP address. If your location cannot be determined, UTC is used. Follow the steps below to select a time zone when working in Media Manager.
- When you are logged in to https://media.console.pbs.org/, click your login in the upper right side of the screen and click Profile Settings (Figure 1).
- Click the Time Zone dropdown menu and click the time zone you want to assign to your profile (Figure 2).
* Auto-Detect is selected by default.
- Click Save (Figure 3).
- Your profile settings have been saved (Figure 4). Use the links in the left navigation menu to resume working in the console or click the icon to return to the Media Manager Shows dashboard.
Start adding content
You're now ready to begin adding your content to the system!
Click the links below or refer to the navigation on the left side of the page to learn how to add your content to Media Manager.
- I want to create an episode for my show
- I want to create a video asset for my episode or special
- I want to add an extra to my franchise, show, or season
- I want to move my episode
- I want to create a season
- I want to add a caption file to my full length asset
- I want to create a collection
- I want to add episodes to my collection
- I want to create a special
- I want to move my special to another show