How to create an episode
|Field||Notes||Required for create?|
|Title||60 character limit, including spaces.||Y|
|Slug||Auto-generated unique identifier that cannot be changed after initial save.||Y (automatically generated from Title, and is editable only prior to initial save)|
|PBS Content ID||Auto-generated unique identifier.||Y (automatically generated; not editable)|
Unique Gracenote identifier.
Currently this field is exposed in the Media Manager API, but not yet used by any internal clients. Unless you have access to the Gracenote-generated ID, you should not populate this field. More information will become available, as integration plans are made.
|Episode NOLA||Six-digit broadcast code that represents a show, season number, and episode number.||N|
|Episode Number||Must be unique to the season (in other words, you cannot have more than one episode 3, for instance).||Y (auto-incremented, but editable)|
|Segment||Identifies segments of a single episode. Used primarily by PBS KIDS.||N|
|Short Description||90 characters or less, including spaces. Used primarily when space is limited, such as on apps and small screens.||Y|
|Long Description||400 characters or less, including spaces.||Y|
|Premiere Date||Original on-air or online broadcast date.||Y (pre-filled with current date; is editable)|
|Encore Date||On-air rebroadcast date.||Y (pre-filled with current date; is editable)|
|Created||The date and time the special is created.||N/A|
|Updated||The date and time the special was last updated.||N/A|
If you are working within a season that has already been created, follow the steps below to create an episode within the season. If you have not yet created a season, learn how to create a season.
- Be sure you are in the correct season by clicking the show, then the Seasons tab, and the link to the season to which you want to add the episode.
- Once you are in the season you want, click Create Episode (Figure 1).
- Click the season to which you want to add the episode (Figure 2).
Need to create a season? Learn how to create a season
- Click Create Episode (Figure 3).
- In the Title textbox, type a title for your episode containing no more than 60 characters, including spaces. The slug auto-populates as you type the title (Figure 4.1).
- In the Episode textbox, type the number of your episode (Figure 2.2). Episodes use ordinal numbers to identify each episode's position in the season. This means that the first episode you add will be labeled "1," the second episode will be labeled "2," and so on (Figure 4.2). If episodes already exist in this season, this field auto-populates with the next logical episode number.
- The Segment field is available as an identifier for multi-part episodes (Figure 4.3). This is rarely used and you do not need to worry about this field.
- In the Short Description textbox, type a short description containing no more than 90 characters, including spaces and in the Long Description textbox, type a long description containing no more than 400 characters, including spaces (Figure 4.4). These fields accept HTML (example code: <a href="http://www.pbs.org">PBS</a>).
- When finished, click Save (Figure 4.5).
If you receive an error message (500) when saving your file, check the Title field to be sure your character count has not surpassed 60 characters. If you have copied and pasted your title from another source such as Microsoft Word, some special characters, such as apostrophes, quotes, and commas may count as multiple character spaces and put your title over 60 characters. Try manually typing your title into the Title textbox.
- The episode has saved and all fields from the previous screen are pre-filled. You can modify some of the fields, such as Short and Long Descriptions.
- Fill out the Episode NOLA in Core Data tab (Figure 5.1). This is not required.
- The Premiere Date defaults to the date the episode was created. To modify the date, manually type the date into the textbox or click the calendar icon on the right side (Figure 5.2).
- The Encore Date is the on-air rebroadcast date (Figure 5.3). It defaults to the same date as the Premiere Date but can be modified in the same way you would modify the Premiere Date.
- Click Save (Figure 5.4).
- Click the Assets tab to add a video asset for your episode (Figure 6).
How to add assets
How to add additional data
- Click the Additional Data tab to provide additional information about your episode such as:
- Links to buy the DVD or purchase the episode on iTunes, donate to a station, or link to the producer site responsible for the episode.
- The collection to which the episode belongs.
- The language in which the video is presented.
- In the Links section, click the Type dropdown menu and select the type of link you want to add to your episode (Figure 2.1).
- In the URL textbox, type the full URL to the page associated with the selection you made in the Type dropdown menu (Figure 2.2).
- Click Add More to add additional rows (Figure 2.3).
- To delete any of your selections, simply click the trashcan icon next to the selection you wish to delete (Figure 3). The selection is removed and cannot be recovered. If you deleted it in error, you must be add it again.
- To add your episode to an existing collection, in the Collections section click the name of the collection to which it should be added (Figure 4.1).
- The number of available collections is listed at the top of the selectbox on the left (Figure 4.2).
- To search existing collections, type keywords in the Filter box (Figure 4.3).
- Click the Language dropdown menu and click the language that reflects the primary language in which your episode is presented (Figure 5.1). The default language is English but can be changed to Spanish.
- When finished with all of your Additional Data selections, click Save (Figure 5.2).
- An alert appears notifying you that your changes have been saved (Figure 6).
How to delete an episode
- Click the title of the episode you want to delete (Figure 1).
- Click the Core Data tab (Figure 2).
- In the lower left corner of the screen, click the red Delete Episode button (Figure 3).
- Click Yes, I'm sure (Figure 4.1).
- If you change your mind and don't want to delete the special, click No, take me back (Figure 4.2).
- A confirmation message appears at the top of the screen stating that the episode and its associated assets have been deleted (Figure 5.1).
- The episode has been removed from the list of episodes (Figure 5.2).
Episode numbers are not automatically reordered or relabeled. If you do not add a new episode to fill the space of the deleted episode, you may want to renumber or rename the episodes for organizational purposes.
How to edit or move your episode
If you have added your episode to the wrong season or you need to change your episode to a Special, follow these instructions.