If you cannot see the entire video on your device, please collapse the left navigation menu by clicking the line that separates the grey left navigation menu and the white page content section.
A collection consists of episodes and specials from a single show. All content added to a collection must be part of the same show. Collections are their own section like Extras, More Episodes, Clips and Previews. Episodes are added to a Collection not from the Collection page but from the Episode page. This section shows you how to create a new Collection and how to add Episodes to your Collection.
A show is not required to have collections.
How to create a collection
|Field||Notes||Required for create?|
|Title||Title of the collection. 256 characters or less, including spaces.||Y|
|Slug||Auto-generated unique identifier that cannot be changed after initial save.||Y (automatically generated from Title, and is editable only prior to initial save)|
|Short Description||90 characters or less, including spaces. Used primarily when space is limited, such as on apps and small screens.||Y|
|Long Description||400 characters or less, including spaces.||Y|
|Sortable Title||Auto-generated unique identifier.||Y (prefilled from title; is editable)|
|PBS Content ID||Auto-generated unique identifier.||Y (automatically generated; not editable)|
|Featured||On/Off. Displays the collection more prominently than a standard collection on the site.||Y (Default=Off)|
|Created||The date and time the special is created.||N/A|
|Updated||The date and time the special was last updated.||N/A|
- Click the Shows link from the left navigation menu, click the title of the show to which you want to add a Collection and click the Collections tab (Figure 1).
- Click Create Collection (Figure 2).
- In the Title textbox, type a title for your collection containing no more than 60 characters, including spaces. The slug auto-populates as you type the title (Figure 3.1).
- In the Short Description textbox, type a short description containing no more than 90 characters, including spaces (Figure 3.2).
- In the Long Description textbox, type a long description containing no more than 400 characters, including spaces (Figure 3.3).
- Click the Featured toggle to XXXXXXX. Click ON so the button displays OFF if you do not wish to activate this feature.
- When finished, click Save (Figure 3.4).
If you receive an error message (500) when saving your file, check the Title field to be sure your character count has not surpassed 60 characters. If you have copied and pasted your title from another source such as Microsoft Word, some special characters, such as apostrophes, quotes, and commas may count as multiple character spaces and put your title over 60 characters. Try manually typing your title into the Title textbox.
- The collection is saved (Figure 4).
How to add episodes to your collection
All episodes must exist in a season (any season) that is part of the same show. You cannot add episodes from another show to your collection.
- Click the title of your show from the breadcrumb links at the top of the page (Figure 1).
- Click the Seasons tab (Figure 2).
- Click the season that holds the episodes you want to add to your collection (Figure 3).
- Click the title of the episode you want to add to your Collection (Figure 4).
- Click the Additional Data tab (Figure 5).
- The collection you just created, in addition to any others that may exist, display in the Collections section. Click the name of the collection to which you want to add your episode (Figure 6).
- The collection moves from the selectbox on the left to the selectbox on the right (Figure 7.1). Once the collection displays in the selectbox on the right, your episode has been added to that collection. If you have moved the collection in error, click the Collection title to move it back to the box on the left, deselecting it.
- The double arrows at the top of the selectbox on the right will move ALL of your Collections to the box on the left, deselecting all of them (Figure 7.2). Be careful when using this feature.
- When finished, click Save (Figure 7.3).
How to delete a collection
- From your show page, click the Collections tab (Figure 1).
- Click the title of the collection you want to delete (Figure 2).
- In the lower left corner of the screen, click the red Delete Collection button (Figure 3).
- Click Yes, I'm sure (Figure 4.1).
- If you change your mind and don't want to delete the special, click No, take me back (Figure 4.2).
- A confirmation message appears at the top of the screen stating that the collection has been deleted (Figure 5.1).
- The collection has been removed from the list of collections (Figure 5.2).